The Miami-Dade County Council of PTAs/PTSAs is composed of 50,000+ PTA/PTSA members, within 350 local units, serving more than 350,000 students and their families. The Council was organized under the authority of the Florida PTA in 1923.
The council maintains a close working relationship with the administration of Miami-Dade County Public Schools, the Miami-Dade County School Board and other organizations within our community. Council members serve on various advisory committees and community organization boards concerned with the welfare of children and families.
The council president serves as a member of the Florida PTA Board of Directors and the Children’s Trust of Miami-Dade County.
Council general meetings are open to all members of the PTAs and PTSAs comprising the council.
• Acts as a coordinating body to promote communication and cooperation among its member PTAs.
• Disseminates information from national and state PTA and encourages attendance at their conferences and conventions.
• Provides programs and projects of community wide interest.
• Works within the framework of PTA purposes as outlined in National PTA’s strategic plan.
• Keeps informed on PTA issues and shares information with members.
• Builds stronger, more effective PTAs.
• Develops leadership.
• Engages in worthwhile community service projects.
• Broadens and deepens public understanding of home-school cooperation.
• Cooperates with other organizations to achieve common goals within the framework of PTA.
• Is a link through which local PTAs can work on projects or programs beyond the scope of a single PTA.
• Is a channel of communication between school administrators, the school board and the general public.
The council provides:
• An opportunity for local PTAs and their members to exchange ideas and plans, and solve mutual problems though meetings and workshops.
• Strength to united planning efforts to solve community wide problems affecting children and families.
• An opportunity for study groups to work on specific areas of interest.
• Leadership training and on-site training in the community.